Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory
TILBURY FORT, WEST TILBURY, EAST TILBURY
STANFORD-LE-HOPE, MUCKING AND CORRINGHAM
TILBURY FORT is a strong and regular fortification, which entirely commands the navigation of the river Thames; it is distant six miles from Grays Thurrock, 16½ from Brentwood, and 14 from Billericay. It does not contain anything worthy of notice besides the barracks, and the fortress here referred to.
WEST TILBURY, about two miles from Tilbury Fort, is a small village, situated on an eminence. It was at an early period called Tillaburgh, and was then of much more importance than at present.
EAST TILBURY is situated near the Thames; 6 miles from Grays Thurrock, and 4 from Tilbury Fort.
STANFORD-LE-HOPE, is 6 miles from Grays Thurrock.
MUCKING is about four miles from Tilbury East.
CORRINGHAM is about two miles from Stanford-le-Hope; it consists of but a few houses and a church, which is an ancient building with a tower.
The above, with the exception of Tilbury Fort, are small villages, in parishes of their respective names, all in the hundred of Barstable, each containing its parish church. The POPULATION of the parishes, by the later returns, is as follows:- WEST TILBURY, 276; EAST TILBURY, 245; STANFORD-LE-HOPE, 330; MUCKING, 212; and CORRINGHAM, 234 inhabitants.
Transcribed by CG
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1933
TILBURY DOCKS is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1903 from Chadwell St. Mary, in the rural deanery of Orsett and Grays, archdeaconry of West Ham and Chelmsford diocese The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1904, is a building of red brick in the Decorated Style, consisting of nave and aisles, and has sittings for 600 people. The register dates from the year 1904. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chelmsford, and held since 1922 by the Rev William Charles Bown, of the London College of Divinity, who is also emigration chaplain for the Port of London, hon. chaplain to Tilbury Hospital, rural dean of Orsett and Grays, and surrogate: the vicarage house was built in 1914. The Parish Church Institute, a large building in Dock road containing three halls, a library and billiard room was opened by H.R.H. the Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood in 1930. Here is a Roman Catholic church, dedicated to Our Lady Star of the Sea and a Roman Catholic convent, and Emmanuel Hall (unsectarian).
TILBURY DOCKS.The deep water docks of the Port of London Authority, commonly known as "the Tilbury Docks," are in the parishes of Chadwell St. Mary and Little Thurrock, and were opened on Saturday, April 17th, 1886. These are some of the finest deep water docks in the kingdom, and were constructed in about four years, at a cost of about £3,000,000, from plans by Mr. A. Manning, engineer to the East and West India Dock Company. The system, which has a total water area of over 100 acres, consists of a main dock with three branch docks, connected with a tidal basin by a lock 695 feet long and 79½ feet wide, The new entrance lock is situated about 400 yards above Tilburyness, 1,000 feet long, 110 feet wide, with a depth on the sills of 45 feet 6 inches below T.H.W. The docks are splendidly equipped, and are in railway communication with the whole country. There are two 700 feet long dry docks, one 80 feet wide and the other 70 feet wide. The new dry dock is 750 feet long (capable of being lengthened to 1,000 feet) and 110 feet wide. The transit sheds at these docks have an area of about 1,328,350 square feet. The following shipping lines regularly use these docks:Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, Orient Line, Bibby Line, Clan Line, Ellerman Lines, Harrison Lines, Anchor-Brocklebank Line, East Asiatic Co. Ltd., Rotterdem Lloyd (Royal Mail) Line and Henderson Line. The John Cockerill Line maintain regular services to and from Ostend and Antwerp.
Tilbury Cargo Jetty.The completion of the Tilbury River Cargo Jetty in 1921 was virtually an extension of the Tilbury Docks. The accommodation consists of a double-deck jetty, 1,000 feet long and 50 feet wide, parallel to and at a distance of 160 feet from the shore, with a curved railway approach viaduct, 900 feet long and 25 feet wide. The upper deck of the jetty has been equipped as a quay with cranes, rail-way tracks, capstans and bollards, and the space between the upper and lower decks has been enclosed to form a transit shed. The jetty is primarily intended for the discharge of part-cargoes.
Tilbury Passenger Landing Stage.This was constructed by the Port of London Authority in co-operation with the London Midland end Scottish Railway, and opened in 1930 by the Rt. Hon. J. Ramsay MacDonald M.P. The landing stage is 1,142 feet long with feet of water alongside at low water, so that the largest liners may berth alongside at all times. Adjoining is the new railway station baggage hall, with Customs accommodation, and all up-to-date arrangements for passengers.
Tilbury Hotel.The Tilbury hotel, owned by the Port Authority, is a large and commodious house, pleasantly situated on the river front near the docks, and two minutes walk from Tilbury station.
Tilbury Hospital at the Docks was erected in 1896 by the late Passmore Edwards esq. at a cost of £2,000; it was enlarged in 1901, and again in 1925 at a cost of £35,000, when a new operating theatre, kitchen and boiler block were added; there are five wards, containing altogether 92 beds.
The mission launch "Sir Edward Cooper" is attached to this parish for work amongst sailors.
There is a fire brigade station in Beaconsfield road. The area of the Tilbury Urban District is 1,859 acres of land and inland water. The population in 1931 was 16,825 and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 9,168. The population of the wards in 1931 wasNorth, 2,017 and South, 14,808.
Superintendent, A. A. Todd
Dockmaster, A. J. Finnis
Assistant Dockmasters, W. R. Crouch & P. K. Philp
Assistant Superintendent, C. A. Garland
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Dock road, Tilbury (letters should have Essex added). Office open on sundays for telegraph business from 9 to 10.30 a.m. There is also a T. office at Tilbury Dock station for delivery only
Post, M. O. & Tel. Call Office, Civic square (closed 1 p.m. wednesday)
Post & Tel. Call Office, Tilbury Railway station, open for delivery of telegrams during train hours
TILBURY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Meetings are held at the Council offices, Civic square, 1st monday in month.
Chairman, W. J. Bennett J.P.
Vice-Chairman, S. R. Templer.
L. C. Hansen
S. R. Templer
W. J. Bennett
T. H. Tilbury
W. W. Bennett
J. A. Brown
F. W. Webb
A. E. Frost
F. H. White
J. C. Jennings
Clerk, Herbert Wood, Council offices, Civic square Accountant, S. J. Pybus A.S.A.A. Council offices, Civic square
Treasurer, Charles Idloes Hamer, Barclays Bank Ltd. Dock road
Medical Officer of Health, William Thomas Garthorpe Boul M.D., B.Ch.Vict., D.P.H. Council offices, Civic sq
Engineer & Surveyor, S. A. Hill-Willis M.I.C.E. Council offices, Civic square
Sanitary Inspector H. A. Gosling A.R.San.I. Council offices, Civic square
Collector, A. W. Gunn, Council offices, Civic square Electrical Superintendent, E. K. Richardson, Council offices, Council square
Board of Trade Mercantile Marine Office, W. Boyle R.D., R.N.R. supt.; H. R. Hooper, assistant supt
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange, The Docks, P. Gibbons, manager
Police Station, 124 Dock road
Port of London Authority, A. A. Todd, supt
Tilbury Dock Working Mens Club & Institute, Calcutta road, A. J. Kempster, sec
Tilbury Hospital (Seamens Hospital Society), L. G. McQueen M.B., Ch.B., F.R.C.S. resident medical officer; Miss M. K. Ireland, matron
Shipwrecked Fishermen & Mariners Royal Benevolent Society; Hon. Representative, The Superintendent, Mercantile Marine office. See Advt Index
Railway StationsTilbury & Tilbury Dock (L. M. & S)
Email Essex Pubs at: Essexpubmail
ESSEX PUBS HOME